Frequently Asked Questions
- What does latherology sell?
- Technically speaking, we sell high-quality, customizable hair products—shampoo, conditioner, and a weekly treatment—at an affordable price. But really, we sell change. We think it's time for a change in what you can buy and how you get to buy it. There's no reason to settle for the mass-produced products on the shelf at the grocery store. You deserve hair products that smell and work the way you want them to, that are good for your hair, and that don't empty your wallet. By using respectable ingredients, mixing it ourselves, and sending it directly to you, we can accomplish all of that.
- How does it work? How do I order/purchase your products?
- Our shampoo and conditioner are custom-mixed for you, so we need to know what you want in them. Use our website to create your mix—either start from scratch and select each component, get inspiration and recommendations from us after answering a few questions, or purchase one of our featured mixes. Once you know what mix you'd like for your shampoo and conditioner, you decide what size bottle you'd like — 4-oz or 6-oz. We sell small bottles because we use 100% essential oils and we want to make sure you use it while it's fresh. We recommend ordering your mix as a monthly subscription so you're guaranteed to have a fresh mix delivered to your door when you need it.
- What ingredients are in latherology products?
Untreated shampoo: Aqua (Purified Water), Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycol Distearate, Laureth-4, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamidopropylamine Oxide, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Silk Amino Acids, PEG-150 Distearate, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Citric Acid .
Untreated conditioner: Aqua (Purified Water), Behentrimonium Methyl Sulfate, Steryl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerine, Quaternium-80, Brassica Napus (Canola) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Silk Amino Acids, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Canola Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Oil, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid.
Treated shampoo: Aqua (Purified Water), Coco Glucoside, Sodium Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Coco Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, (Essential Oil), Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, (Carrier Oil), Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Glycerine, Citric Acid, Panthenol.
Treated conditioner: Aqua (Purified Water), Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, (Essential Oil) Polyglyceryl-2 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Simmondsia Chinensis, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, (Carrier Oil), Tocopherol Acetate, Aminomethyl Propanol
Treat weekly treatment: Aqueous Infusion of Anthemis nobilis (Chamomile) and Urtica dioica (Nettle), Rosa damascena flower distillate, Porphyra yezoensis (red algae) extract, Corn Ferment Filtrate, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Quaternium-70, Glycerine, Quaternium-80, Cetrimonium Chloride, Myristal Myristate, Myristyl Lactate, Tetradecyl Laurate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Stearyl Alcohol, Quaternium-18, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, PEG-150 Distearate, Parfum, TEA, Phenyl Trimethicone, Silk Amino Acids, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Polysorbate-20, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Cannabis sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Potassium Sorbate, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Citric Acid.
- Do latherology products contain sulfates or parabens?
- Blech. No way. latherology hair products are non-toxic. They contain no formaldehyde, lye, parabens, sulfates, phosphates, phthalates, SLS, or sodium chloride.
- What sizes do latherology products come in?
- latherology Cleanse and Condition are sold in pairs of 4-oz or 6-oz bottles. No need to make room for those massive vats of product in your shower. Plus, this gives you just enough fresh product for the month, until your next order arrives.
- Can I order just Cleanse [shampoo] or just Condition [conditioner]?
- Um, no. We developed Cleanse and Condition to complement each other so, in the end, everyone is complimenting you. We think it's really, really, super-duper important to use them as the pair that they are. You can thank us later.
- Do latherology products have an expiration date?
- You don't have to worry about your latherology products spoiling like leftovers in the fridge. But...we do use 100% essential oils, which deteriorate over time. This is why latherology Cleanse and Condition come in smaller bottles than you might normally buy traditional shampoo in, and why we recommend signing up for a subscription. This way you only get as much as you need for a month and you always have fresh shampoo and conditioner—delivered to your door—when you need it.
- Why doesn’t latherology shampoo have much lather?
- latherology Cleanse shampoo is made without sodium laurel sulfate (SLS), a chemical detergent that artificially makes substances lather. In the best interest of your hair—and the rest of your body—we chose natural ingredients to do the job of cleaning your hair. They aren't as harsh and they don't lather as much.
- Is my hair still getting clean even if there isn’t a lot of lather?
- Oh yeah. Did you know there's a kinder way to clean? You actually don't need a head full of suds. Instead of typical cleansing chemicals like parabens and sodium chloride, which remove dirt from your hair but also strip it of the oils that are essential to its health, we use protein-rich porphyra seaweed. You'll have less lather, but this unique botanical extract cleans, strengthens, and hydrates your hair, reducing the occurrence of breakage and frizz.
- Are latherology products tested on animals?
- No. When we created latherology we didn't just have the best interests of your hair and body in mind, we're thinking of everybody. We don't test our products on animals.
- Can I get a different mix for my shampoo than my conditioner?
- While we are all about mixing things up, when it comes you our Cleanse and Condition sets, the mix you make is for both products. If you want to try something different, email or call your latherologist and we can modify the pair for the next delivery in your subscription.
- Can I customize Treat, the weekly protein treatment?
- What if I don't love the mix I ordered?
- Well, we certainly hope this never has to be a real conversation, but one day you might think, This lavender makes me feel so calm and comfortable that I think I'll just skip work today, and then you realize that's a bad idea and maybe you need a different mix. And if that day comes, let us know. When you purchase from latherology, your love is guaranteed. We mix each small batch to your specifications. If you don’t love it, your latherologist will adjust your formulation or help you find a new one.
- Does latherology accept international orders?
- Not yet, but never say never.
- Can I buy latherology products at any retail locations?
- Not right now. Since each bottle of Cleanse and Condition is mixed just for you, just when you want it, there's no time for it to sit on a shelf anywhere. Besides, since we use 100% essential oils, we want you to have it immediately and enjoy the benfits of the fresh formulation. And last but by no means least, since we sell direct to you, we can keep costs down and you get a customized product made with high-quality ingredients without emptying your wallet.
- How much does a subscription cost?
- The cost varies depending on what size bottle you choose and whether you add in latherology's weekly treatment, but a subscription starts at $15/month. Put in real-world terms, it's less money and longer-lasting than the pedi you're going to scuff up in yoga class. What's a daily dose of treat-yourself-right worth to you?
- Can I change my mix—from one month to the next?
- Absolutely. In fact, we recommend it. You get to enjoy the same great quality shampoo and conditioner made with 100% essential oils, amino acids, and other botanical elements, but change up your experience each month with different natural scents to keep things interesting. You'll never be bored—with your hair products—again. It's easy, too. You'll get an email from us telling you the cut-off date to make a change before your next shipment. Get the same great performance but try different oils for different moods, events, or seasons. Email, or call your latherologist and we can modify your subscription.
- Can I change the frequency of my delivery or the size of the bottles?
- We're committed to making sure your latherology bottles are filled with the highest-quality, freshest ingredients, to give you the best experience, which is why we deliver them to you on a monthly basis. However, based on the length of your hair or your frequency of use, you might find you want more or less in your order. As long as you let us know by the cut-off date, you can switch the size of the bottles.
- What are the delivery frequency options?
- If relationships aren't really your thing, you can just order one month at a time. But if you're up for something a little more serious, we have a subscription that is delivered monthly. Subscriptions can be changed from month to month if your interests stray a bit.
- How do I cancel my subscription?
- In the event that you find yourself no longer in the possession of a head of hair, we would be happy to cancel your subscription. Just contact us and we'll take care of you. If you still have hair, our feelings will only be slightly hurt, and we'll still take care of you.
- How do I renew or extend my subscription?
- In the event that you realize you're ready to cross "get shampoo and conditioner" off your to-do list for good—because surely you have something better to do with your time, contact us and we'll take care of you.
- How often will I receive my products if I order a subscription?
- If you order a subscription we'll make sure your latherology products show up at your door every month.
- What is the deadline for changing my mix before my next delivery?
- You don't have to write this down because we're going to send you a reminder, but you can change your mix up until two days before your next shipment.
- Will latherology charge my credit card with each shipment or all at once?
- Mom always said, You get what you pay for. So we'll charge your credit card for each shipment, one month at a time.
- Can I purchase a subscription as a gift?
- Only if you want to be the best gift-giver around. Sure, you can create a mix for someone else and we'll send it to them—for however many months you choose. Or you can send them a gift card so they can make their own mix.
- How much does shipping cost?
- For a one-time order (versus a subscription), we offer a $5 flat-rate for shipping. If you'd rather spend that on a delicious coffee drink, order a monthly subscription and we'll take 25% off your order.
- Where does latherology ship to?
- To your door. Or your office. Provided it's somewhere in the United States and has a valid mailing address that a postal worker visits on a regular basis.
- What if my order arrived damaged?
- Oh, the horror. Well, we certainly hope that doesn't happen, but if somehow it's been mistaken for a hockey puck enroute to your door, please contact us and we will take care of it.
- Can I recycle latherology’s shipping materials?
- Please do. The shipping box, tissue paper, and packing shreds (which are made of recycled paper) can all go into the recycling bin.
- Does someone need to be home to sign for my box?
- Nope. Your friendly postal delivery person can leave it right at your door or next to it, just so you don't trip over the thing. We wouldn't want that.
- Does latherology support any charitable organizations?
- Most definitely. To help meet the essential needs of homeless young people in our community, we supply Cleanse and Condition to Star House, the only drop-in shelter in Central Ohio. Star House serves up to 65 youth per day with immediate services including food, clothing, showers, laundry, and bus passes.
- Does latherology share my personal information?
- No way. We're not like that. We only use your personal information to complete your order and stay in touch. We won't share, sell, or trade your personal information. Not even for magic beans.
- Is there a latherology mobile app?
- Not at this time, but what a clever idea! Maybe we'll do it in the future.